Thursday, January 23, 2020

Nancy Hart Challenge!

As I wrote in my last posting, I just recently learned of Nancy Hart, so whether she is a great aunt or not does not really matter all that much to me. What does matter more is genealogical and historical accuracy.

There is no doubt that Nancy Hart lived. And it seems certain that tradition has it correct that her maiden name was Morgan. There also seems to be no doubt that Benjamin Hart was her husband. Whether she did all that was attributed to her over the years is another matter.

What does seem problematic is her parentage. Although most of the early sources (books, genealogies, and articles) seem to agree that her parents were Thomas and Rebecca (Alexander) Morgan I have been unable to find any primary sources yet to back this up.

Instead, just the opposite, I have found records attached to my direct ancestors Mark and Sarah Morgan that seem to confirm that Anne was, in fact, a daughter of theirs. 

Writing to some people who descend, or claim descent from Nancy hasn't been productive either in obtaining primary records that she attaches her in any way to a Thomas Morgan.

For instance, I have read that the Hart family moved into the area of Orange Co., North Carolina around 1760. Presumably, this is where Anne Morgan was living when she met and married Benjamin Hart.

Checking the 1755 Tax List for Orange County, I could find no Thomas Morgans. So if there was a Thomas Morgan he either had no taxable goods or he wasn't yet living there. There is a Thomas who witnesses a will I believe in about 1764 in Orange County, but, he doesn't appear once in the court records during this same timeframe.

I will layout the records that I have found that appear to draw Mark Morgan and his wife Sarah into a relationship with Benjamin Hart and his wife Anne aka Nancy Hart.

So, the challenge is this... Please present some primary source material that connects Anne Morgan the future wife of Benjamin Hart who would become known as Nancy Hart the Patriot with Thomas and Rebecca Morgan.

The Daughters of the American Revolution has done some great work in preserving the past and honoring Patriotic heroes, but, sometimes their old published books have information that has been proved inaccurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment